Root Canal Therapy – Grand Island, NE
Put an End to Tooth Pain
Thanks to older TV shows and films, root canal therapy doesn’t have the best reputation. However, despite what you may have seen on the big screen, root canal therapy is a virtually painless procedure that is used to repair damaged teeth and save them from being extracted. If you are looking to put an end to tooth pain, we have you covered at Stec & Stines. Give us a call to learn more about root canal therapy in Grand Island and schedule an urgent visit to get some relief!
Do I Need Root Canal Therapy?
Having a toothache doesn’t necessarily mean that you are in desperate need of root canal therapy. This service is reserved for teeth that have become damaged, decayed, or infected to the point when they can’t be treated with just a filling or dental crown. Here are some popular symptoms that may signify that you could benefit from root canal therapy:
- Severe toothache or dental pain that has lasted for more than 24 hours
- New or worsening tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Pain in one or more teeth when you bite down
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- A bump on the gums near the painful tooth that resembles a pimple
If you have one or more of the symptoms listed above, contact our office to schedule a same-day appointment for emergencies.
The Root Canal Process
Root canal therapy is used in order to save teeth that are damaged and ultimately eliminate discomfort. First, you are administered a local anesthetic to ensure that you’re comfortable during the procedure. The area will be completely numb, so you won’t be able to feel a thing.
Once the area is completely numb, your dentist will make a small hole in your enamel and remove all of the damaged and infected tissue from the inside of your tooth. Afterwards, they will clean and sanitize the tooth to ensure that it is completely free from bacteria. Lastly, the tooth is filled with a biocompatible filling material. In many cases, a dental crown is placed overtop the tooth to keep it safe from further damage.
The Benefits of Getting a Root Canal
Root canal therapy is a safe way to prevent dental problems from occurring later on. Some of the benefits include:
- Preserves Damaged Teeth: When compared to extractions, saving a tooth with root canal therapy can save you a lot of time, money, and future complications.
- Stop Harmful Bacteria: Root canal therapy cleans away harmful particles that are causing you pain and discomfort.
- Painless Treatment: Root canal therapy is virtually painless! It’s about as comfortable as getting a standard filling and requires much less healing time than an extraction.